Prosecutor: Arlington teen wanted bomb ‘mayhem’ not injuries

  • Saturday, November 2, 2019 1:30am
  • News

By Zachariah Bryan

zbryan@heraldnet.com

ARLINGTON — A teen who set off a pipe bomb in a bathroom at Arlington High School said he didn’t want to hurt anyone, charging papers say — he just wanted to cause “mayhem and disorder.”

School staff said they heard a “loud bang” around 8:30 a.m. Oct. 22. Smoke spewed out of a bathroom, and a school resource officer reported finding an explosive device that looked like a white pipe with one end blown off.

The campus went into lockdown as Arlington police investigated. Students were transported by bus to a nearby middle school, where they were released to go home.

Officers found a possible suspect after reviewing security footage. The suspect, a junior at the school, told officers he acted alone. Staff searched him and reportedly found a green-handled kitchen knife.

The student said he had been bullied and had broken up with a girlfriend over the summer. Previously, he said, he thought about bringing knives and throwing stars to school to stab other students, papers say. He said he tested the “sharpness, quality and condition” of the knives. He claimed to know where the major human organs were, so he wouldn’t kill anyone, prosecutors wrote.

The teenager said he had been learning how to make pipe bombs on the internet since before his sophomore year. He reportedly used more than 100 sparklers in the bomb he set off in the bathroom. On Aug. 26, he posted a photo of what appeared to be an explosive on his Instagram account, captioned “time to make a bomb.”

The boy said he was “triggered” by an argument with his ex-girlfriend on Oct. 21, and decided to set in motion plans to bring a pipe bomb to school.

He scouted locations around the school where he thought the explosive wouldn’t harm anyone, he reportedly said.

The morning of Oct. 22, the student placed the pipe bomb underneath a toilet in a handicap stall then went to class, prosecutors wrote. He returned a half-hour later. Nobody else was in the bathroom. So, he reportedly said, he lit the fuse and walked out.

On the way back to class, the boy said he heard a muffled explosion. He recalled purposefully flinching, so his reaction seemed normal.

He claimed he didn’t make any more bombs. But the Washington State Patrol Interagency Bomb Squad obtained a search warrant for his house and reportedly found two more — one was a black pipe bomb larger than the one found at the school, the other was a soccer ball packed with fireworks.

More in News

Inslee: Stay home for 2 weeks

By Jerry Cornfield and Zachariah Bryan The Herald OLYMPIA — Gov. Jay… Continue reading

Fences have been put up around Marysville playgrounds to keep kids off. (Steve Powell/Staff Photos)
Marysville leaders concerned as (almost) everything’s closing

By Steve Powell spowell@marysvilleglobe.com MARYSVILLE – Within hours of Gov. Jay Inslee’s… Continue reading

Briefly

Beware of coronavirus scams SEATTLE – U.S. Attorney Brian T. Moran is… Continue reading

Jennifer Thompson, left, and her father Ron Thompson secure a new remembrance plaque to the Oso slide site gate on Sunday, near Oso. Ron Thompson handcrafts a new plaque for the gate every year. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Community remembers Oso slide victims, survivors

By Ben Watanabe The Herald OSO — The power of remembering the… Continue reading

People gather to pick up special allergy meals before leaving Lakewood High School on Wednesday in Marysville. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Districts taking meals to students since schools are closed

By Stephanie Davey The Herald LAKEWOOD — Children wearing pajamas stood outside… Continue reading

Jon Nehring
Letter about coronavirus from Marysville Mayor Jon Nehring

This is an edited version of a letter Marysville Mayor Jon Nehring… Continue reading

DOUGLAS BUell/Staff Photos
                                Lead cook Keina Gowins with Presidents Elementary hands out free grab-and-go breakfasts and lunches to students and parents outside the school Wednesday. Presidents and AHS serve as central kitchen sites for preparing meals, which starting next week will expand to 12 delivery sites from Silvana to Oso. Right, Arlington Food Bank executive director Carla Gastineau and Mike Simpson, food bank board president and owner of Arlington Grocery Outlet, partnered with the district with their Meals Til Monday program, and gave a woman a box of donated food while at Presidents.
Arlington students won’t go hungry during the COVID-19 school closures

ARLINGTON – Arlington schools are closed through April 24 to help fight… Continue reading

Scott Beebe hands out Chromebooks to people in their cars. (Steve Powell/Staff Photos)
Marysville parents anxious to pick up school materials for kids

By Steve Powell spowell@marysvilleglobe.com MARYSVILLE – A few days ago Marysville schools… Continue reading

Jon Nehring
Marysville leaders’ trip to D.C. productive

MARYSVILLE – City leaders recently obtained advice on how to get more… Continue reading

Crews will blow garbage into the street and sweep it up over the next few weeks. The city is asking people to move their cars, trash cans and recycle bins when they come around to help them do a thorough job. (Courtesy Photo)
Marysville shuffles workers due to virus, seeks public’s help for sweepers next week

By Steve Powell spowell@marysvilleglobe. MARYSVILLE – From working from home to teleconferencing… Continue reading

Arlington closed until April 24 amid COVID-19 outbreak: what’s next?

ARLINGTON – When Arlington public school leaders met for a special meeting… Continue reading