News

Bothell boy injures hand setting off 'dud' firework in Tulalip

TULALIP — A Bothell boy could lose his hand after setting off a leftover firework on Mission Beach on the Tulalip Reservation July 5.

The 10-year-old was at a family gathering at about 10:30 a.m. when he found what he thought was a "dud" firework, which he nonetheless lit with a cigarette lighter he also found on the beach.

The firework exploded in his hand, injuring him seriously enough that he was airlifted to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle for surgery. According to Tulalip Bay firefighters and medics, the explosion was not life-threatening, but it could require the boy's hand to be amputated.

Tulalip Bay Fire Chief Rob Johnson cited this accident as an example of why people who use fireworks need to clean up their refuse, rather than leaving their duds behind for children to find.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Nov 22
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.