News

Candle fire displaces Marysville family

Marysville firefighters battle an April 3 fire at a house in the 12100 block of 52nd Avenue. - Photo courtesy of the Marysville Fire District
Marysville firefighters battle an April 3 fire at a house in the 12100 block of 52nd Avenue.
— image credit: Photo courtesy of the Marysville Fire District

MARYSVILLE – Just before 7 p.m., April 3, Marysville Fire District crews were dispatched to several reports of a house on fire in the 12100 block of 52nd Avenue. A column of smoke could be seen from miles away. The first crew arrived to a well involved one story structure fire in the attached garage moving to the house. Crews attacked the fire and had it quickly controlled.

No injuries were reported.

The homeowner, her 12-year-old son, their dog and two cats have been displaced. Red Cross is assisting them. They had insurance. No smoke alarms were sounding.

The Snohomish County Deputy Fire Marshal has ruled the fire accidental.

According to Kristen Thorstenson, Public Education Specialist/Public Information Officer,candles should be placed on non-combustible surfaces with sufficient space around them, so as not to ignite flammables. Working smoke alarms save lives. Check yours tonight. Make sure you have one in every sleeping area and in the hall. If your smoke alarms are older than 10 years old, replace them.

If you need help or have questions about smoke alarms, contact your local fire department.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the latest Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Sep 27 edition online now. Browse the archives.