- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Connect with Us
Fire displaces Marysville family of six
MARYSVILLE - At 11:45 a.m. on March 30, Marysville Fire District crews were dispatched to respond to a report of flames from an upstairs closet of a two-story home in the 4900 block of 104th Place NE.
The ladder company from Marysville's Shoultes fire station, which was just two blocks away, could see smoke as they were pulling out of the bay. They arrived to find flames coming out of the back window of the upstairs bedroom. Crews contained the fire to the bedroom. Getchell firefighters assisted in the response.
Smoke alarms alerted the residents. The family of six was displaced and assisted by the Snohomish County Chapter of the American Red Cross.
The Marysville Fire District Fire Marshal ruled the cause as children playing with a lighter. Damages were estimated at $145,000. The residents did not have renters' insurance. No injuries were reported.
"If you have children, be sure all matches and lighters are locked up," said Kristen Thorstenson, public information officer and education specialist for the Marysville Fire District. "Teach children at a young age that matches and lighters are tools, not toys. Also, working smoke alarms save lives, so check your smoke alarms and practice you home fire escape plans monthly. If you have children, practice them at night too. We want you to know the night of a drill, rather than the night of an actual fire, if your children will wake up or not."