News

Marysville chimney fire displaces family of three

Firefighters Max Ruijters, Jacob Kuehn and Tobin McGowan help extinguish a chimney fire in Marysville March 9. - Courtesy Photo
Firefighters Max Ruijters, Jacob Kuehn and Tobin McGowan help extinguish a chimney fire in Marysville March 9.
— image credit: Courtesy Photo

MARYSVILLE — A family of three and their dog have been displaced after a chimney caught fire and spread to the roof of a Marysville home.

At about 9 a.m. March 9, Marysville Fire District crews responded to a chimney fire in the 6100 block of 84th Place NE. While on their way to the fire, crews received reports that the blaze had spread to the roof, said Kristen Thorstenson, public information officer for the district.

Thorstenson said that within minutes of arriving at the scene, crews were able to put the fire out. Damage is estimated to be approximately $15,000.

"The best way to prevent a chimney fire at your house is to have a qualified chimney professional inspect your chimney annually," Thorstenson said.

The Marysville Fire District Fire Marshal and the Marysville Police Department Fire Investigator both assisted in the case.

The family was assisted by the American Red Cross.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the latest Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Aug 16 edition online now. Browse the archives.