News

Marysville firefighters respond to Arlington garage fire

ARLINGTON — At 9:15 p.m. Nov. 22, Marysville Fire District crews responded to the 1900 block of Lakewood Road, where a two story house's attached garage was fully engulfed in flames. Residents of the home reported hearing "pops" and smelled something burning. When they opened the door to the garage, they saw flames, evacuated the home and called 911. Crews contained the fire damage to the garage.

Mutual aid was provided by North County Fire and EMS and the Arlington Fire Department.

The family of six has been displaced and is staying with friends and neighbors. The family does have insurance. There were no working smoke alarms.

The Snohomish County Fire Marshal's office conducted an investigation. The fire appears to have originated at or within the control panel of the washing machine. Damage is estimated to be $150,000.

"Remember, working smoke alarms save lives," said Kristen Thorstenson, public education specialist and public information officer for the Marysville Fire District. "Have them in every sleeping area and one on every floor of your home. Check them monthly."

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the latest Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Oct 25 edition online now. Browse the archives.