Beach Ave. apartment fire started by smoking materials

Discarded smoking materials caused an apartment fire Feb. 24 in the 700 block of Beach Avenue. - Courtesy Kristen Thorstenson
Discarded smoking materials caused an apartment fire Feb. 24 in the 700 block of Beach Avenue.
— image credit: Courtesy Kristen Thorstenson

MARYSVILLE — Marysville Fire District personnel responded at approximately 8 p.m. Feb. 24 to reports of an apartment fire in the 700 block of Beach Avenue.

A resident heard something outside, and when he opened the door, he found flames going up the back of the house.

Crews arrived to find heavy smoke and flames from an attic eve of the one-story residence. They rapidly contained and extinguished the fire, which had just spread from outside into the attic, and they prevented it from extending into the rest of the residence.

The residents, two brothers, have been displaced and will stay with friends. They did not have renter's insurance.

The Snohomish County Fire Marshal's Office determined the fire was caused by discarded smoking materials and estimated damages to be $50,000.

Marysville Fire District crews numbered 21 in their response to the fire.

Marysville Fire District spokesperson Kristen Thorstenson warned that, if you smoke, you should put your cigarettes all the way out.

Our Mobile Apps

Community Events, April 2014

Add an Event
We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the latest Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Apr 19 edition online now. Browse the archives.