News

House fire displaces family of six, causes $20,000 in damage

MARYSVILLE — A fire displaced a family of six and caused approximately $20,000 worth of damage to the contents of their home in north Marysville Oct. 31.

Their neighbors reported seeing smoke and flames at approximately 11 a.m. in the 1300 block of 150th Place NW. The residents, including three children, were home at the time of the fire and exited the one-story house safely. Their two cats and four dogs also escaped.

Firefighters from the Marysville Fire District, North County Fire and EMS and Tulalip Bay responded quickly and brought the fire under control. No one was injured.

The Snohomish County Fire Marshal’s office determined the fire started in a bedroom in the area of a space heater.

Fire damage was contained to the bedroom. The family of six has been displaced, and is receiving assistance from the Red Cross.

Kristen Thorstenson, public education specialist and public information officer for the Marysville Fire District, would like to remind area residents to always keep at least two feet between space heaters and combustible materials, as recommended by the manufacturer, and to be sure they have working smoke alarms in all areas where someone might sleep.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the latest Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Oct 18 edition online now. Browse the archives.