Vandals caught red-handed tagging Ebey park bathrooms

MARYSVILLE When Mike Robinson catches somebody red-handed, they are red handed, literally.
The maintenance manager for the Marysville Parks and Recreation Department has had his fill of vandalism and graffiti for the last year as city parks have been repeatedly targeted by vandals. Mischief like scratching Satanic symbols in to Strawberry Field bathroom doors has evolved into garage cans thrown into the Kiwanis Pond at Jennings Memorial Park and ubiquitous tagging by felt tip pens and paint.
The last straw was more than $2,500 damage to the brand-new Ebey Waterfront Park a month ago, when trees were uprooted and snapped at the base and fences were repeatedly knocked down.
So when he had the chance to collar two youths for spray painting the inside of the Ebey Slough bathrooms, he took the chance.
At about 7 a.m. on Feb. 16 Robinson noticed two boys sitting outside the Ebey Waterfront Park restrooms, looking around and acting nervous. The two were taking turns, one sitting on the bench outside as a lookout as the other went inside. As they left Robinson entered the john and saw red paint, still wet, on the walls. He contacted two other employees who collared the youths and called police.
Responding officers noted the boys had red paint on their hands and on a pair gloves in their possession. The 15-year-old and 13-year-old also had several cans of spray paint in a back pack and a large felt-tipped marker. They were connected to other vandalism on State Avenue in the 1300 block by officers and were arrested. They were charged with third-degree malicious mischief and were released to a parent.

Arlington man arrested in connection with bank
robberies, aluminum theft
Marysville police also arrested an Arlington man for two recent bank robberies and the theft of more than $4,000 of aluminum from his Arlington workplace.
According to the Marysville Police, the 41-year-old robbed the Marysville Wells Fargo Bank on Jan. 31, and two weeks later the First Security Bank in Marysville on Feb. 12. In both cases a weapon was implied but not displayed.
The man was kept under surveillance by the Arlington and Marysville police and voluntarily met with the cops to discuss the aluminum theft. He was taken into custody without incident and booked into Snohomish County Jail on two counts of first degree robbery and on count of first degree theft. Police are continuing to investigate the crimes.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 22
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.