- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Fire damages Marysville house
MARYSVILLE Fire severely damaged a home near Pinewood Elementary School on Jan. 14, when firefighters from Marysville, Lake Stevens, Getchell and Arlington fire districts responded to a one-alarm fire on Sunday afternoon.
Nobody was hurt in the fire, but two cats were killed and a gerbil was rescued from the one-story house on 56th Place NE near Allen Creek. According to Snohomish County Fire Marshall Mark Crowley the fire was accidental and likely caused by combustibles stored too close to a space heater. The house was estimated to have suffered $125,000 damage to the structure, $50,000 damage to the contents and a vehicle valued at $10,000 was destroyed as well.
According to Marysville Fire District spokesperson Stephanie Price, responding firefighters found flames shooting out the eaves of the garage and the house filled with thick smoke. Crews waged an aggressive exterior attack, cutting several holes in the roof to extinguish the fire and save the buildings contents. Eight emergency companies responded, she said.
The three-bedroom rambler was occupied by a single male resident who was home at the time and smelled smoke and noticed fire in the garage. Smoke alarms sounded and the man fled to a neighbors house to call 911, according to Price. The residence suffered serious smoke and water damage and was deem unlivable. The Snohomish County Red Cross was on hand to provide assistance to the resident, as a worker just happened to be driving by the scene of the fire, she added.
He was shaken up, definitely, his house was not livable, Price said, adding that the Marysville city employee was getting help from neighbors.