- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Connect with Us
UPDATE | Fire extinguished at Cascade Elementary
MARYSVILLE — At 11:44 a.m. on Wednesday, Sept. 5, the Marysville Fire District was dispatched to a classroom fire at the single-story Cascade Elementary School building, in the 5200 block of 100th Street NE, on the first day of school.
The first arriving officer at 11:52 a.m. reported both fire and smoke were visible, and firefighters fought the fire offensively to confine it to the building and bring it under control within 10 minutes.
At the height of the incident, more than 28 firefighters battled the blaze, with mutual aid provided by Arlington and Getchell Fire District 22.
All of the students and staff were evacuated without incident, according to the Marysville School District's emergency policy, and no injuries were reported.
The fire's dollar loss has been estimated at $200,000.
The fire was investigated by the Marysville Fire District and determined to be accidental, caused by a faulty light fixture.
According to Marysville School District Assistant Superintendent Gail Miller, the teacher in the classroom in question pulled the fire alarm after noticing smoke.
"The one classroom's carpets and materials will have to be replaced, due to fire and water damage, while other three classrooms only suffered minor smoke damage," Miller said. "If any of the students' belongings need to be replaced due to the fire, the district will do so."
The Marysville Fire District would like to remind you to check your smoke alarms regularly, and to practice your emergency plan.