- About Us
• Ken Baxter Senior/Community Center seeks Instructors
The Ken Baxter Senior/Community Center is seeking people who are interested in volunteering or being paid to teach classes. If you have knowledge of a particular subject, if youre artistic, crafty, or can teach continuing education or something else, please contact us and request an instructor proposal packet. Let your imagination fly! Daytime and evening times are available. Contact Maryke Burgess, KBSCC Manager at (360) 363-8450 for details.
• Local Red Cross needs translators/interpreters
If you are fluent in a foreign language, as well as English, the American Red Cross would like you to consider offering your bi-lingual writing and speaking skills as a volunteer translator/interpreter. Areas of service include opportunities as presenter of community disaster education programs, disaster relief emergency shelter staffing, disaster action team member responding to local disasters such as house and apartment fires, mental health counselors and registered nurses (must be licensed and certified) and health and safety course instructors. The greatest need for the Snohomish County Chapter is for bilingual translators speaking Spanish, Russian, Ukrainian, Korean, Tagalog, Vietnamese, Lao, Cambodian, or Arabic. Volunteer time commitments would be “as needed” and compatible with availability of the individual. If interested, call Diana Schmid, 425-740-2327 or e-mail email@example.com.
• Providence Hospice & Home Care of Snohomish County offers notary services at no charge to hospice patients in their homes and in care facilities throughout the county. We have volunteer notaries in all reaches of the county, but we especially have the need for volunteer notaries in south Snohomish County, including Bothell, Edmonds, Lynnwood, Mountlake Terrace, Mill Creek, Brier, Woodinville and/or Shoreline. A valid notary license, valid driver’s license and auto insurance, and current TB tests (we provide at no charge) are required. Notary volunteers are called upon approximately 3-5 times a year. Please call 425-261-4815 if you would like to join us as a notary volunteer.
• Snohomish County residents who are interested in the needs and issues facing older persons and younger persons with disabilities are asked to apply for membership on the Snohomish County Council on Aging. The Snohomish County Office of Long Term Care and Aging manages federal, state and local funds targeted to our elderly citizens. It relies heavily on its advisory board, the Council on Aging. The Council on Aging meets on the fourth Wednesday of each month (except December) from 9:30 a.m. to noon. Snohomish County residents who represent the needs of ethnic and racial minority communities, older persons wishing to improve the quality of life for senior citizens, persons who represent organizations which serve older and younger disabled persons, locally elected officials and members of the general public are encouraged to apply. Snohomish County actively encourages members of diverse communities to apply. Interested persons must complete and file an application form with Snohomish County Long Term Care and Aging. To receive an application form or find out more about the Council, contact Joyce Frasu at 425-388-7377, or firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications may also be printed directly from the Council on Aging website. Please visit the Snohomish County website at the “Snohomish County : Council on Aging : Home” link and this will take you directly to the Council on Aging page.
• Relay for Life of Northern Snohomish County 2009 is looking for Planning Committee members. Relay teams raise money throughout the year prior to the event with a variety of fundraising activities. Relay for Life celebrates survivors, funds research and cancer education, inspires the public to become involved in the American Cancer Society’s Advocacy efforts and makes important services possible for patients and their families. The Planning Committee for the Northern Snohomish County Relay for Life meets the first Thursday of every month. The 2009 event is June 13 -14, 2009, at M-PHS School Track If you are interested please contact Tracy Anderson at email@example.com or call 425-315-3882.