Snohomish County residents, businesses urged to report damages

Snohomish County residents, farmers, businesses and municipalities should begin reporting to the county's Department of Emergency Management (DEM) storm damages related to winter weather occurring between Jan. 13 through 23.

The damage assessments will be used to determine and justify the need for possible state assistance, federal assistance and other potential grants. Repeated snow, ice and freezing temperatures may have caused damage and impacts throughout Snohomish County as well as a number of its cities.

Snohomish County's road crews plowed nearly 20,000 miles of roadway during the multi-day storm event, using nearly 4,600 tons of sand to clear ice and snow, since replenishing supplies for a future event.

Crews also worked to clear tree limbs and debris from the county's stormwater catch basins – there are about 50,000 throughout the county – to prevent urban flooding. Crews worked 12-hour shifts around the clock both on the road and in the shop where trucks were prepared with proper equipment for each day's weather conditions.

"Snohomish County has shown continually its ability to respond to weather events such as snow and ice, keeping roads clear and open," said Snohomish County Executive Aaron Reardon. "But we also know that some residents and business owners may have suffered damages due to ice and flooding."

Residential, agricultural and business damages can be reported by calling the DEM office at 425-388-5088 or by filling out and returning a damage-assessment form, which will be available Wednesday at DEM staff is available 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Wednesday; 1-6 p.m. Thursday; and 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Friday to take damage reports.

Individuals will need to provide an address where the damage occurred, the amount and type of damage, primary and secondary insurance information as well as deductible amounts. All damages should be documented with photographs if possible.

Damages also should be reported to private insurance providers.

Snohomish County departments, municipalities and public agencies should complete and return PA-1/2 forms to the county DEM.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the Oct 22
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.